Bill2's Process Manager : le forum
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.
Bill2's Process Manager : le forum

Bill2's Process Manager, Votre gestionnaire de processus automatique

AccueilAccueil  RechercherRechercher  Dernières imagesDernières images  S'enregistrerS'enregistrer  Connexion  
Le Deal du moment : -50%
-50% Baskets Nike Dunk Low
Voir le deal
64.99 €

BPM and Core I7?

2 participants
AuteurMessage
MarkShot
Supporter
Supporter

BPM and Core I7? Empty
MessageSujet: BPM and Core I7?   BPM and Core I7? Icon_minitimeMer 4 Mar - 0:18

I don't see myself owning one anytime soon given the financial crisis and that I am very happy with quad core from 2007.

However, I was thinking the other day how I would best use BPM and an I7 Core.

I think I would do the following. Since an I7 is really a four processor chip with HT, I would bind affinity exactly the same as I am doing on my quad core. However, instead of assigning things to a single processor, I would assign all the same things to a pair of processors that actually resolve to the same physical processor. Thus, I would maintain the same macro level balancing structure that I desire. However, by using pairs, I would derive a potential 15% performance boost when two assigned applications had maxed the CPU at 100%.

Bill, what do you think? Is that the most sensible way to use BPM and an I7? Just curious to hear your thoughts. Thanks.
Revenir en haut Aller en bas
Bill2
Administrateur
Administrateur
Bill2

BPM and Core I7? Empty
MessageSujet: Re: BPM and Core I7?   BPM and Core I7? Icon_minitimeVen 13 Mar - 20:50

Hi,

Sorry for the long time before my answer ...

Well. I htink it's not very esay to answer.
Fist, I have never test my soft on a HT processor by myself.

So, I can't really know if the number of CPU detected is correct.
And I don't know how the processes runs when you assign them on the "HT part" of the CPU.

But I think your apporach is good.
HT CPU are not real CPU, but can boost your PC if you assing different processes on the same "CPU+HT".

For the moment, I don't think I can detect that a CPU is a real one or an HT.
A cool function could be an "automatic selection" of CPU+HT when you select CPU, but I don't know how to make it user friendly.
And the big pb : how to detecte is HT is enabled ... or not.

I will think about that for a future version.
http://www.bill2-software.com/processmanager
MarkShot
Supporter
Supporter

BPM and Core I7? Empty
MessageSujet: Re: BPM and Core I7?   BPM and Core I7? Icon_minitimeSam 14 Mar - 16:10

Bill,

I put a recent version of BPM on my laptop to test. It is a 2004 Pentium 2.86GHz HT processor. (Windows XP Pro SP3 32b) BPM saw it as a two processor host.

Remember HT was a trick by Intel to take advantage of some of the dead space in the pipe line prior to the arrival of the dual core processor. MSFT's contribution was SP2 which saw and supported HT as if it was two separate processors.

My guess is that the I7 scheme is something simple like 1+2, 3+4, 5+6, and 7+8 are your real physical processors. Once you know the scheme and can detect the chip, then you could include an option to bind affinity to physical processors only (collapse HT) and ignore virtual processors.
Bill2
Administrateur
Administrateur
Bill2

BPM and Core I7? Empty
MessageSujet: Re: BPM and Core I7?   BPM and Core I7? Icon_minitimeSam 14 Mar - 17:23

Well, I think it's quite more complicated, because HT can be disabled in the bios ...

So the detection may be difficult to do.

And I want my Perfs graph to reflect the Taskamanger of windows.
So if one shows 8 graph, I have to show height graph, and allow user to select the CPU thay want for affinity.

For the moment, I don't plan anything, because C2D and C2Q are the most used by the Geeks that use my soft Cool
Bill2
Administrateur
Administrateur
Bill2

BPM and Core I7? Empty
MessageSujet: Re: BPM and Core I7?   BPM and Core I7? Icon_minitimeMer 13 Mai - 13:31

Hello Mark,

Well, I think you'll be happy :
- the last version of BPM include a timing delay on start, before full launching and applying rules (v3.3.1.x)
- I'm working on a version with HT detection, and full support for affinity selection, and process distribution using CPU+HT as one CPU Smile
The code is written, and will be soon tested on a CoreI7 by a french tester Smile

It will be in the v3.3.2 I think Very Happy
Contenu sponsorisé

BPM and Core I7? Empty
MessageSujet: Re: BPM and Core I7?   BPM and Core I7? Icon_minitime

BPM and Core I7?
Page 1 sur 1