Bill2's Process Manager : le forum

Bill2's Process Manager, Votre gestionnaire de processus automatique

AccueilAccueil  FAQFAQ  RechercherRechercher  S'enregistrerS'enregistrer  MembresMembres  GroupesGroupes  Connexion  

Partagez | 

Delayed start (application of rules) on Windows load

Voir le sujet précédent Voir le sujet suivant Aller en bas 
AuteurMessage
MarkShot
Supporter
Supporter

MessageSujet: Delayed start (application of rules) on Windows load   Mer 21 Mai - 19:43

This is from another thread where I wrote:

Citation :

I completely configure everything last night and ran a test with my machine. I've never had so many things running smoothly and got as much out of my machine.

With word of caution. If you are going to do system processes (I did). I have a quad core and put all the OS related stuff on Processor #1. Then, you should use another utility like PCMAG's Startup Cop2 to delay the launch of Program Manager for until 5 minutes after boot. Otherwise, your boot becomes slower. Since without PM, drivers/services initialize on any of the four processors. However, with PM as I first tried, they were only initializing on Processor #1. By delaying 5 minutes, you get a fast boot, followed by all the benefits of load balancing later.

If you put all your Window's OS and utility processes, then you get an extremely slow boot. Since previously, all four processors would be used for driver and service initialization; now there is only one. I used another startup utility to delay the load on PM for 5 minutes until my system was up and stable. However, I think this feature should be built directly into PM.

Additionally, there should be a shutdown/reboot option for PM. Meaning shutdowns/reboots should be invoked via PM. At the time, a shutdown or reboot is initiated all modified processes should have their affinity once again set to all processors. I think this would speed the shutdown/reboot as more CPU cycles would be available for resident services to do clean up and termination processing.

Here is a link to the utility which I used to address this deficiency in PM:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,1830362,00.asp
Revenir en haut Aller en bas
Bill2
Administrateur
Administrateur

MessageSujet: Re: Delayed start (application of rules) on Windows load   Jeu 22 Mai - 19:27

Hello,

Well, your analyse is very good :p

And the resutl is logic : if Windows is forced to use only one CPU to load all processes, it takes more time.

My Process Manager is built to manager processes in "'normal" mode, and have not been made for boost Windows start or shut down stages.
And as you say, actually, it can even do a bad work.

But my soft is not a boot manager Rolling Eyes

So I think you'll have to continue to use Startup Cop Pro to address this problem. Each soft have is own functionnality.

However, I think that my Process Manager should (or may ?) reset affinity to all processor for all running processes when it unload.

I'll try to implement than in a future version.

MarkShot
Supporter
Supporter

MessageSujet: Re: Delayed start (application of rules) on Windows load   Jeu 22 Mai - 22:39

I have no problem using Startup Cop Pro 2, but here is why I suggest that include a delayed start. Others are not so sophisticated. Thus, they are less likely to blend a mix of utilities together. Now, if it turns out that someone sets up BPM and their PC boots substantially slower, then they probably will not use it any further. Granted BPM is freeware, but if you are ever thinking of selling it, then this could be a problem for you.

Regarding user "sophistication" ... and turning BPM into a product. If you want to go down that path, then BPM should have two main modes:

(1) There should be an automatic mode that tends to get better (and demonstrable improved performance ie. some easy metrics) such that someone can just install BPM on their quad core and see a real improvement without understanding technology.

(2) There should be the existing rule based approach for those who are technically inclined.

Sort of think of BPM like many firewalls out there. Most personal consumer firewalls these days can simply be loaded and ignored by the non-technical. However, for the technical, you open or block specific ports ...

By the way, I mentioned that I am investor in a French PC games company, www.ageod.com. Well, although for other game companies I have done testing, promotion, and strategy guides. For AGE Studio, I am actually the Business Advisor. So, I offer you this little bit of advice if you are interested one day selling BPM. I hope you don't mind.
Bill2
Administrateur
Administrateur

MessageSujet: Re: Delayed start (application of rules) on Windows load   Ven 23 Mai - 6:39

BPM is free and will always be.

I can try to introduce a little delay before applying rule when Windows start (I think there is somewhere an information to know the boot time, so I can compare windows boot time and BPM launch time ...)

But I recommand one thing : system processes are important for Windows.
BPM "can" manage them, but I suggest you to not manually set priority/affinity for them.

Playing for affinity for all kind of softs is good, but system process should be managed by Windows only.

For firewall an antivirus, you can manage them without any problem, as they are not integrated parts of Windows.

Contenu sponsorisé

MessageSujet: Re: Delayed start (application of rules) on Windows load   

Delayed start (application of rules) on Windows load
Voir le sujet précédent Voir le sujet suivant Revenir en haut 
Page 1 sur 1