Bill2's Process Manager : le forum
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.
Bill2's Process Manager : le forum

Bill2's Process Manager, Votre gestionnaire de processus automatique

AccueilAccueil  RechercherRechercher  Dernières imagesDernières images  S'enregistrerS'enregistrer  Connexion  
Le deal à ne pas rater :
Funko POP! Jumbo One Piece Kaido Dragon Form : où l’acheter ?
Voir le deal

Running as a service

2 participants
AuteurMessage
nwest

Running as a service Empty
MessageSujet: Running as a service   Running as a service Icon_minitimeMar 19 Jan - 17:20

Hi there,

Great application - it's working really well for my use case, with the exception of when an admin is not logged in.

I was wondering if it's possible to have this run as a service, so that rules can be applied without an administrator being signed in?
Revenir en haut Aller en bas
Bill2
Administrateur
Administrateur
Bill2

MessageSujet: Re: Running as a service   Running as a service Icon_minitimeMar 19 Jan - 18:15

Hi,

Thanks for using my program Smile

Unfortunatly, BPM is not designed to run as a service.

The developpement of the software has been stopped for a while now and I don't plan to develop this kind of feature.
I'm sorry.

http://www.bill2-software.com/processmanager
nwest

MessageSujet: Re: Running as a service   Running as a service Icon_minitimeMar 19 Jan - 18:17

Hmm - that's ok. Appreciate the response Smile

Do you know of any way to configure it so that all users share the same rules?
Bill2
Administrateur
Administrateur
Bill2

MessageSujet: Re: Running as a service   Running as a service Icon_minitimeMar 19 Jan - 18:19

The program is designed to store the config in the user's folder.

"BUT", il you install the program in "portable mode", in a public folder, then all users can use the same rules Wink

nwest

MessageSujet: Re: Running as a service   Running as a service Icon_minitimeMar 19 Jan - 18:26

So in theory, I could set the application to run on startup for all users in portable mode and they’d all reference the same config? Would it eat up resources if each user has an instance running? I don’t suppose I could limit it to one instance as the ability to kill other users processes comes with running it as an administrator
Bill2
Administrateur
Administrateur
Bill2

MessageSujet: Re: Running as a service   Running as a service Icon_minitimeMar 19 Jan - 18:52

I've never had to test this kind of configuration Wink

You have multiple users using the same computer at the same time?
Seems a bit strange, no ?

In my memory, I put in BPM a system to prevent it to be launched multiple time by the same user.

But I don't know how it will react for multiple users sharing the same folder in portable mode.

So ... just give it a try, but I can't guarantee that it'll work fine Rolling Eyes
nwest

MessageSujet: Re: Running as a service   Running as a service Icon_minitimeMar 19 Jan - 18:59

Yeah there is normally 5-15 users logged in on each VM. Do you think each user having an instance would be problematic or you're not sure?

It's a terminal server setup running Windows Server 2016.

My use case is wanting to kill an application after x minutes of idle as we have limited licencing.

Bill2
Administrateur
Administrateur
Bill2

MessageSujet: Re: Running as a service   Running as a service Icon_minitimeMar 19 Jan - 19:14

Hum ... very good case Wink

You can run multiple BPM instance with no problem.
It will just use more RAM and a little CPU time.

May be you can configure one instance, and then copy the config file in the others.

Or may be you can open an admin instance, and run BPM only once. It should be able to manage processes of every users.
If the server runs 24/24, then you just have to let te admin session opened in Windows ...

And yes, BPM can kill application, but I don't recommand this on big software with licensing system.
You can easly lost datas, because users often forgot to save their work ...

In my enterprise, we have a monitoring system, and kill sessions from the software itself when needed.
And when we have to to this too many time, we send (again) and email to the users, telling them to disconnect properly when they don't use their session.

Better solution: buy more licences Wink
(But financial services always say "no" Evil or Very Mad )

nwest aime ce message

nwest

MessageSujet: Re: Running as a service   Running as a service Icon_minitimeMar 19 Jan - 19:25

Thank you for your help Smile

I thought about leaving the admin logged in, but these servers are rebooted every 3 days and I don't really want an admin autologging in - so unfortunately not very viable.

We have been asking users to close the application, but they haven't been listening, even after we email them and their bosses - fortunately it's all read only data so no loss if it is closed unexpectedly.

If I manage to get it working I'd like to dnoate and buy you a beer, is that possible?

Cheers!!
Bill2
Administrateur
Administrateur
Bill2

MessageSujet: Re: Running as a service   Running as a service Icon_minitimeMar 19 Jan - 19:38

Let my know if you find a "reliable" solution Wink

I'm OK for a beer, I don't know where you live, but It may be difficult to meet, I'm in France Smile

But you can donate, my Paypal account is still open.
There's a link in the "About" menu.

Thanks for your interest.
nwest

MessageSujet: Re: Running as a service   Running as a service Icon_minitimeMar 19 Jan - 22:54

I'm in Scotland. Will send you some euros Smile

When the Process Monitor process was only running one instance, it was sitting at very low CPU % and hardly any RAM, but when 8 instances were running it is maxing out the CPU.

I've made a rule for it to move instances to their own CPUs - is that how you think I should handle it or do you have any recommendations?
Bill2
Administrateur
Administrateur
Bill2

MessageSujet: Re: Running as a service   Running as a service Icon_minitimeMer 20 Jan - 7:25

I don't know the software you are trying to move on the differents CPU.

If it's a huge software using massive parallel operation, it's better to assign it to many CPU.
But for each user, it may be very difficult to achieve.

And don't forget : I've start to code this software when multi core arrived for general public, when Windows was not really good to manage multi CPU.

Nowaday, windows is really good to use all CPU and available ram , so it may be useless to force CPU assignation.

You can still try to use it to kill the process on idle time ...

Well, it's hard to give you better advice on such a specific case Cool
nwest

MessageSujet: Re: Running as a service   Running as a service Icon_minitimeMer 20 Jan - 11:09

Sorry I meant the BPM process seems to be spiking.

It only has one rule so not sure how I can optimise it.

nwest

MessageSujet: Re: Running as a service   Running as a service Icon_minitimeMer 20 Jan - 12:54

Think I may have stumbled upon a bug, if I choose to have a tool tip displayed after x mins with no other action, it will always display in french
Bill2
Administrateur
Administrateur
Bill2

MessageSujet: Re: Running as a service   Running as a service Icon_minitimeMer 20 Jan - 17:58

LOL Wink

Very minor bug Smile

Can you copy me the french message ?
It'll help me to find where the tooltip is raised, and why it is not translated :p
Contenu sponsorisé

MessageSujet: Re: Running as a service   Running as a service Icon_minitime

Running as a service
Page 1 sur 1